Skip to content

Lakota, Iowa

Lakota is located in northern Kossuth County just off Highway 9. The town was first called Germania in 1892, due to the German heritage of many early settlers. The name was officially changed in 1919 because of the hysteria of World War I. The town was renamed an Indian word, Lakota, which has several different translations. Some translations include "beautiful prairie”, “plenty”, or “allies”.

The town of Lakota is known for its beautiful flower gardens and special community events. A tree-filled park is located in the town and features a play area with new equipment and a shelter house. Annual events held in Lakota are the Lakota Ambulance’s Soup and Sandwich dinner in November, Santa Claus Day in December, Fireman’s Breakfast in February, Fun Days in April, the Lakota Community Club’s Pancake Day in the Spring, and Sauerkraut Days in August. Lakota is home to several businesses and a public library.

Highlights

Tour Union Slough National Wildlife Refuge, an excellent place to observe wildlife under natural conditions throughout much of the year. The vast 2,200- acre site provides shelter for large numbers of waterfowl, including pelicans, trumpeter swans, great blue herons, double-breasted cormorants, and snow geese. For more information, contact (515) 928-2523. The Lakota Historical Museum is now available to tour. Contact Char Spear at (515) 886-2510 for more information. The largest Ethanol Plant in Iowa is completed and fully operating, located west of Lakota next to U.S. Highway 169 and Iowa Highway 9. For more information contact Global Ethanol at (515) 886-2222. The Lakota Library was built in 1940 by WPA men from the CCC camp in Bancroft at the cost of $13,000. It features the unique architect style of Aswold Thorson. The original Town Hall and City Jail now houses the City Hall and council chambers as well as our beautiful newly remodeled/up-todate library. For more information, contact (515) 886-2312 or www.ncn.net/~lakota.

Works Cited

Much of the historical information was taken from Kossuth County history booklet. The information was compiled by Richard Schiek as part of the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the establishment of Kossuth County and the “Kossuth on State” project, dedicated on July 13, 2001. There is a complete bibliography in the back of the Kossuth County History booklet.

Welcome to Kossuth County Iowa Visitor’s guide funded by Kossuth County Economic Development Corporation, Western Iowa Tourism, and Algona Publishing. Published in 2001.

Scroll To Top